- from Summer Vacations A to Z
is a well-liked 100-acre theme park plus water park, open early May to early October, and located in the town of Santa Claus, Indiana. (Holiday World used to be "Santa Claus Land" when it opened in 1946.) Holiday World has areas themed for Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and July 4th..
Sample driving times are: 6 hours from Chicago; 3 hours from Cincinnati; 3 hours from Indianapolis; 1 hour from Louisville Kentucky.
One fee buys admission to both Holiday World and the large Splashin' Safari water park. In both, sodas, lemonade, iced tea and ice water are a nice touch*: a nice touch, and good moneysaver for families. More nice touches: free parking; picnic ground; family restrooms.
Another moneysaver: buy "Next Day Tickets" to return the next day, at a reduced price.
Praise for Holiday World
From About.com's Guide for Theme Parks:
- "One of the few remaining privately owned and operated theme parks, Holiday World is loaded with charm, attention to detail, incredibly courteous and friendly staff members, impeccably clean grounds, and other features that corporate parks often can't match. A family park in the truest sense of the term..."
Highlights of Holiday World and Splashin' Safari, for Families:
- the theme park + water park combo is great on hot days
- giant Pilgrims Plunge chute water ride
- exciting wooden roller coasters
- The Voyage roller coast, with maximum "air-time"
- multiple daily shows, including a high-dive show
- Jungle Racer five-story water slides
- Jungle Jets water "sprayground" with geysers, squirters, etc.
- family water rides, such as Bakuli with 4-person tubes and a six-story bowl
- Bahari giant themed wave pool
Parents of small kids will find:
- a kiddie play zone has tree houses, water sprinklers, more
- Santa sings and tells Christmas stories three times a day
- Holiday World makes a specialty of "Rides for Little Ones".
- Splashin' Safari has "Water Rides for Little Ones"
Check Holiday World online, for ticket discounts. The Lake Rudolph Campground and RV Resort will rent you an RV, and has swimming pools, mini-golf, more. Tip: head to the water park in the morning and the theme park in the afternoon, to beat the crowds.
-Back to Summer Vacations A to Z
-Continue to "J" is for Jazz- Montreal Jazz Festival
*always check web site for updates!