The Ritz-Carlton is a well-known luxury brand with a century of history. Today's Ritz-Carlton welcomes kids with Ritz Kids clubs and other features for families. (Read more about the The Ritz-Carlton brand.) This resort has received a AAA Five Diamond rating.
The Lodge has a turn-of-the-century Craftsman and Adirondack style, with vaulted timber ceilings and stacked stone fireplaces in the lobby and panoramic lake views. Guests note that the grounds offer many nice spots to relax, nap in a hammock, or sit in Adirondack chairs.
Guests can stay in rooms and suites in the main building, in lakeside cottages, or in one of four master suites in a Presidential House. The resort also has a Club Level with deluxe rooms and suites, personal concierge, and complimentary meals and beverages.
Features and Activities
This resort has two marinas, miles of walking trails, a 27,600-square-foot spa, a heated infinity waterfront pool outdoors and an indoor lap pool, six meal options from pool bar to fine dining, and 99 holes of golf, designed by golf legends. (Read more about golf at The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation.)
- Fishing. Lake Ocanee offers a high volume of many kinds of fish, and rentals include pole, tackle, and bait.
- Segway tours (Sample price: $135*)
- Outdoor games that can be checked-out at the Concierge Desk: horseshoes, frisbee golf, bocce ball, croquet, basketball, football, softball, soccer balls...
- Bike rentals, including tricycles for kids
- Canoes and kayaks, pedal boat, and Yolo board rentals
- Campfires by the lake each evening with s'mores (complimentary for guests)
- Daily activities such as arts and crafts and lake activities
- Linger Longer Express: a ten minute complimentary tour of the property in a train that seats 26 passengers
- Wakeboarding, waterskiing, jet ski rentals
- Horseback riding
- Skeet, trap and clay shooting
- Summertime lakeside concerts and fireworks on Sundays*
- Ice Skating at an outdoor rink (seasonal)*
Ritz Kids is the signature program for the Ritz-Carlton brand, and this resort has daily programs for ages five to twelve (full or half-day options.) Sample activities include making a pine cone bird feeder, shooting hoops, swimming in the lake or pool, fishing, a canoe trip, planting a garden, nature hikes or biking, exploring a tree house playground, or performing plays in the Pollywog Theatre.
The resort also has a Kids Night Out on some evenings (--kids have dinner and supervised fun) and nanny service is available.
Also for kids:
- VIK (Very Important Kids) Check-in gives kids their own registration desk, with guest book.
- P.O.L.O. Program: guests with kids under five are escorted to their room by a bellman who installs safety features such as electric outlet plugs, a night light, tub spout cover, and first aid kit.
- Kids Meal Plan: available for kids age 12 and under. Kids wear a special bracelet and can have breakfast, lunch and dinner, from the Children’s Menu at designated restaurants; meals include several types of beverages, and dessert. Children must be accompanied by an adult, and taxes and gratuities are included.
- Kids Group Programming: available with advance notice, for groups of 10 or more with special pricing. Sample programs include Super Hero Training Camp (--after their super power training, kids rescue the general manager of the hotel who's been kidnapped); Surf-n-Turf creative team-building on land, on the beach, and in the indoor pool; and Dyno-Mite, learning about dinosaurs in a laboratory, plus a scavenger hunt and activities such as cave painting.
Keep in Mind:
- 24-hour room service can be a nice convenience for families.
- Be sure to check TripAdvisor.com for recent visitor comments. Several visitors recommend choosing a unit with lakeside view and balcony, or a lakeside cottage with kitchenette and porch.
- Dogs (and cats) up to 35 pounds are welcome, for a one-time fee.
- Outdoor pool may be too cool to enjoy in May.
- Men should check the dress code that may be required at some restaurants for dinner.
*Always check destination websites for updates!