Forget "Old Man Winter": for families who ski or board, "Winter"'s a buff guy in gortex, and a chance to get onto white slopes under bright blue skies.
So, where to go? The next pages have suggestions in six regions. Keep in mind that regions differ in some key features that are important for family skiing:
- Vertical lift: small mountains are great for learning but as kids get older, the family may crave longer runs at bigger mountains
- Quality of the snow: for many of us, skiing on ice is not so nice, while champagne powder is sweet. Utah, Colorado, and the interior area of BC are great spots to try.
- advantages of non-celebrity ski resorts
- "Kids Ski Free" opportunities
- kids' programs: some ski resorts go all out not only with kids programs but also teen programs and deluxe child-care centers.
--On to Region #1: New England