Okemo -- near the small town of Ludlow, Vermont -- is a popular mountain for families, and has a claim to "some of the best snow in the east", according to About.com's Skiing Guide; Okemo has plenty of snowmaking capability, too.
Okemo has five mountain areas for skiing and boarding, and 2200 vertical feet of descent. A cool attraction at Okemo is its year-round mountain coaster, the Timber Ripper, which has 3100 feet of track and fun features such as camel backs and banking loops. (Click on "More Images" to see a photo.) Head to the Okemo Ski Resortwebsite for details and for the latest news about ski trails, lifts, and programs.
Features for Families:
Okemo is a family-owned ski resort, whose owners pride themselves on a personal touch. Features for families include:
- Free skiing and riding for kids six and under
- Free beginner surface lifts
- Slopeside lodging
- Overnight ski/ snowboard storage near lodge and lift
- Complimentary shuttle on weekends and holiday periods
- Mountain Ambassadors who give tips and tours
- For little kids: day care centers at the Okemo base and Jackson Gore base, private lessons for kids as young as two, and a skiing program for kids aged three and four
- Evening day care available seasonally, for ages six months to twelve years
- ski and snowboarding programs for kids
Okema also has a large super pipe, a half-pipe and multiple terrain parks.
Okemo in Summer
Families will find summer fun at Okemo too, with lots of recreation in the Great Outdoors and free outdoor concerts. An Adventure Zone has a mountain coaster, a zip line tour, disc golf, bungee trampoline and more.