The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge is a 200-suite Adirondack-themed family resort with two outstanding features:
- it's part of the Great Escape theme park across the street
- it's the first hotel with an indoor water park in New York state
Great Escape Theme Park: Background
The Great Escape is owned by Six Flags, a big name in theme parks. Before purchase by Six Flags, The Great Escape was a storybook theme park, and still has many attractions for kidlets. A Looney Tunes National Park children's area was added in 2005.
Great Escape also has a wicked wooden coaster and other thrill rides, and an outdoor water park, Splashdown Kingdom. The theme park is open mid-May through October*; September and October are weekends-only, with October dedicated to the Halloween-themed Fright Fest. (Check site for updates.)
Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water park- Features
The Lodge is open year-round; when the theme parks are closed, guests can enjoy Fall Foliage in autumn and snow-sports in wintertime (if they find time to get outside the water park.)
Décor is in the style of an Adirondack Lodge: the two-story lobby has rustic beams and two fireplaces.
One-room "family suites" can sleep six, making use of a pull-out sofa. Twenty more suites have two rooms and can sleep between eight to twelve. The Great Escape Lodge has a restaurant, ballroom, arcade, spa, and fitness center.
Indoor Water Park, White Water Bay:
- exclusively for guests of the Lodge
- 38,000 sq. ft., with two body slides
- tube water slides
- family raft ride
- river tube float
- "FlowRider" (-- a continual sheet wave for body boarding or stand-up surfing)
- activity play lagoon with basketball court
- shallow wading pool for tots
- multi-level Tall Timbers Treehouse has three slides and 160 interactive water elements (squirters, dumping buckets, etc.)
Nice touch: a towel attendant has warm towels for guests in the pool area. Also, a shop in the pool area sells bathing suits, etc.; if you need more gear, a Walmart's down the street.
Also of Interest to Families:
- story time and Character Meals with Looney Tunes characters such as Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck
- kids program with arts and crafts, games, contests, scavenger hunts
- coin-op laundry
Find Out More:
- see photos of the indoor waterpark
- head to the the Six Flags site
- check for visitors' comments at TripAdvisor.com and lots of tips (such as "wear your swimsuits under your clothes"). Just enter "Great Escape Lodge" in the searchbox
- Check prices
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
* Always check resort sites for updates!