"Great Wolf Lodge" is a big name in indoor water park resorts: the original is in Wisconsin Dells, the little town that started the trend. Great Wolf Lodge still has a big presence there but is also colonizing other towns, spreading the brand to Great Wolf Lodge Poconos, Great Wolf Lodge Sandusky, Williamsburg VA, and more.
Generally a core set of features repeat at the Great Wolf Lodge waterpark resorts.
- attractive rustic look
- Grand Lobby, typically 4-storey, with giant fieldstone fireplace
- Clock Tower in the Grand Lobby (with animated show)
- all-suite guest rooms, including suites that can sleep eight, and themed suites such as Wolf Den with a "room within a room" for kids
- family restaurants
Water Park Features
Again, certain features repeat at most Great Wolf Lodges:
- Bear Track Landing is the main indoor waterpark, with a mix of features such as waterslides, wave pool, toddler pool, etc..
- Fort MacKenzie is a multi-level tree-house with spray guns, fountains, hoses, and a giant bucket at the top that spills water all over
- indoor water pool (called Beaver Tail Lake, and Rainbow Lake, Slap Tail Pond at different properties)
- Howlin' Tornado: a 6-storey funnel tube slide
- Spirit Island is an additional waterpark (at Great Wolf Lodge Wisconsin Dells) with waterslides, lazy river, activity pool, etc.
- Raccoon Lagoon, or Loon Lagoon, are names for the summertime outdoor pool at some resorts, with geysers, sprayers, water basketball, etc.
- Thunder Bay: outdoor summertime pool area. Features vary at different properties; the Wisconsin Dells Great Wolf Lodge has a giant pool, geyser, version of Fort MacKenzie play zone, kiddie bumper boats, family cabanas.
Many features repeat at most Great Wolf Lodges, but some locations have special offerings, too.
- musical show every night at the Animated Clock Tower in the Grand Lobby, followed by night-time story-telling
- Cub Club for kids, with crafts and activities to do with parents
- Mascots Wiley™ the Wolf and Biko™ the Bear
- Northern Lights™ Arcade
- Some properties have Elements Spa, with Aveda® products; other spa types are found also; Iron Horse™ Fitness Room at some properties
- MagiQuest interactive fantasy game is available at many Great Wolf Lodges. Players make their way through the Lodge, following an Adventure, seeking magical items, and pointing at them with a special Wand that causes crystals to glow, and boxes of treasures to open, and yield up clues to continue the game.
- Wiley's Woods multi-level "foam ball play center" - at Great Wolf Lodge Wisconsin Dells.
Seasonal Fun: Howl-O-Ween
Halloween-themed activities in October might include spooky nightly story-time in the Grand Lobby; rooms decorated in Haunted Forest, wizard, dragon and other themes; trick-or-treat trails, with colorful characters; costume contests, pumpkin decorating, horse-drawn hay rides, crafts such as masks or Jack-o-lanterns. For details, check the Great Wolf Lodge site and choose an individual location.
This holiday season happens at all Great Wolf Lodges in December. Features typically include:*
- Grand Lobby decorations: snowflakes, icicles, lights, Christmas trees, "glacier polar bears and penguins", even indoor snow (and roaring fireplaces too)
- Santa's Arrival & Tree Lighting
- visit with Santa, North Pole University for Elves, carol sing-alongs
- animated musical Great Clock Tower Holiday Show
- bedtime storytime with Rowdy the Reindeer
- Santa's workshop
- Polar Bear Race in the water park
Great Wolf Lodge Locations: