Kalahari Resort - Background
The original Kalahari Resort is in Wisconsin Dells, a town that's "the indoor water park capital of the world." In the Dells, the Kalahari Resort claimed to have "America's largest indoor water park".
But along came a big expansion at sister resort, Kalahari Sandusky, (in Sandusky Ohio)... Its 80,000 sq. ft indoor water park (Ohio's largest) got a 93,000 sq. ft. expansion: the whopping 173,000 sq. ft. total makes this Kalahari resort "America’s largest indoor water park"-- for a while, at least.
Sandusky, by the way, has long been a popular summertime destination, due to the wild roller coasters at Cedar Park. A historical downtown and white sand beaches on Lake Erie are other draws. (Read more about Cedar Point, and Sandusky Ohio.
Kalahari Resort Sandusky- Features
- Wild Kingdom: play area with net crawls, water guns, easy slides, giant tipping bucket
- Zip Coaster, uphill "roller coaster waterslide" with freefalls, tunnels, geysers, drops, and climbs
- Crocodile Cove activity pool (water cannons, basketball)
- Lazy/Torrent River, with geysers, waterfalls
- FlowRiders for surfing and boogie boards
- extra-long lazy river
- kids' activity pool with slides, geysers, etc.
- dry play area
- toddlers' pool
- private bungalows with tv, fridge, phone, safe, and more. (Limited availability)
- shuffleboard and sand volleyball courts
- African theming
- indoor mini-golf and huge 4-story Tree Top Dry Play zone
- many family activities ( games, scavenger hunts, crafts, etc.)
- indoor-to-outdoor spa
- good food options
An expansion brought:
- Behemoth Bowl, rotates 2 to 4 people in 60’ diameter bowl
- Octopus Racers, with 55’ incline
- 12,000 sq. ft. wave pool
- basketball pool, children's play area
- two Surfari FlowRiders: learn to surf
- special Texlon transparent “intelligent” roof: lets in natural light; better acoustics, too
- indoor/outdoor spas with swim up bar
Keep in mind about the Kalahari Sandusky:
- the wate rpark can get crowded, due to admission of outside guests who buy day-passes
- checkout time can get hectic, with long waits
Find out more:
- visit the Kalahari Sandusky site
- check recent visitors' comments at TripAdvisor.com
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person. Always check resort sites for updates.