The Sagamore is one of America's classic Victorian-vintage beach hotels; The Del Coronado, in San Diego, is perhaps the most-photographed example (and Disney World's Grand Floridian resort is a well-known reproduction of the style.)
The Sagamore, of course, is the real deal, with an enviable setting on Lake George, a popular vacation area in upstate NY. Location is on a private 70-acre island, at Bolton Landing. Driving distance is four hours from NYC, 1 hour from Albany, and three hours from Montreal.
First built in 1883, The Sagamore provided luxury for an international clientele and also for the wealthy of Lake George's own "Millionaire's Row". Fire struck The Sagamore not once but twice in early years; a long decline shut the doors in 1981; but today the Sagamore has been restored and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Historic Hotel has 100 rooms and suites, and The Lodges have many more.
Lake George, meanwhile, is a prime vacation zone, with: watersports; miles of hiking in the giant Adirondack Park; tourist pleasures such as outlet malls; and centuries of military history, brought to life in museums with guides in period dress, re-enactments, etc. (Read more about Lake George.)
Complimentary transportation takes guests to a championship golf course on the mainland; signature restaurant is the elegant Trillium bis; and of course the Sagamore has a spa.
The Sagamore - Features for Families
- [Teepee kids club: runs seasonally, full and half-day
- Rec Center: activities for preteens and teenagers in the summer
- indoor/outdoor heated swimming pool (year-round)
- private beach, water-skiing, wind-surfing, sailing and parasailing
- Sagamore Sailing School. Young sailors age 7 to 12 must have a parent on board.
- walking and jogging trails
- winter activities: cross-country skiing, snowshoing, ice skating, sledding; complimentary shuttle to Gore Mountain for downhill skiing and tubing.
- horseback riding can be arranged
Families will also enjoy the many outdoor activities on Lake George and in the vast Adirondack Park. Also nearby is the Great Escape Amusement Park, with coasters and a waterpark.
Tip: in summertime, look for Family Vacation packages, with perks such as fourth night free, Resort Recreation Bucks, tix to the theme park.
Find Out More:
- visit The Sagamore site
- About's Guide for Honeymoons/ Romantic Getaways has photos of The Sagamore
- check TripAdvisor.com for comments from recent visitors
- Check prices at Kayak.com
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person. Always check resort sites for updates.