- all inclusive resort in the Mayan Riviera, with special programs for under-fives
Azul Hotels by Karisma - Background
Azul Hotels are the family brand of Karisma Hotels (which also has an adult "El Dorado" brand.) Karisma bills its properties as "Gourmet Inclusive resorts".
Two Azul hotels -- Azul Beach Hotel and Azul Sensatori -- are near the small town of Puerto Morelos in the Riviera Maya, 20 minutes from the Cancun airport; a third, the Azul Fives is near the busy tourist town of Playa del Carmen further south. All three have great locations for exploring the Mayan Riviera: Mayan ruins, great snorkeling and scuba, eco-theme parks, and more.
These Azul Hotels by Karisma share some features:
- "Gourmet Inclusive": multiple a la carte restaurants (no buffets)
- 24-hour room service
- beach butler service
- partnership with Fisher-Price toy company for programs for kids under four accompanied by parents (see more, below)
- a focus on weddings
- adults-only areas and restaurants (at some resorts); premium liquors
Location is in "Bahia Petempich", 20 minutes south of the Cancun airport, 35 minutes north of tourist shopping hotspot Playa del Carmen, 10 minutes north of the small town of Puerto Morelos, and 30 minutes from two golf courses.*
- Accommodation: 438 rooms*, all with Jacuzzi; adults-only section and family section; some suites sleep up to eight. Swim up suites open are on a river-type pool which goes to the main pool.
Pools: three pools, one adults-only, one for kids
- Beach Butlers: provide reading materials, pillow, mineral water vaporizers, tanning products, gourmet snacks, or even a full picnic on the beach.
- shaded cabanas/beachbeds on the beach
- Activities include beach parties, Spanish lessons, yoga, live entertainment
- Watersports include kayaks and Hobie cats
- Swim-up suites: step out of your room into a river that goes to the main pool
- adults-only restaurant and lounge; spa
This resort has many features for families, and some nice extras for babies and little kids.
• For babies: the resort provides strollers, cribs, in-room play-pens, refrigerators; baby monitors, bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers, baby-sized plush robes, baby food.
• Azulitos kids program, for kids under five: created by Azul Hotels and Fisher-Price. For babies 6 to 18 months: playgroup sessions such as Ritmo de la Manana ("rhythm of the morning") using Fisher-Price musical-type toys; for toddlers 18-36 months, "Mundos Maravillosos" ("marvelous worlds") with "Little People" toys; for kids three to five, Planet Heroes adventures. Note: kids under four must be accompanied by parents.
• Toy lending library (Jugueteca), part of the Azulitos program
• Kids Club for ages four to twelve has activities, games such as foosball, healthy snack bar
• My Gym's Children Fitness Center has activity programs for kids 4 to 12, a rope course, trapeze, trampoline, springboard, magic carpet swing
• Azul Sensatori Teen’s Club for ages 13 to 17 has video games including Wii, daily activities, non-alcoholic bar; teen disco too
More Features for Families:
- family activities such as kite-flying or toasting marshmallows (- some activities incur a charge); family barbeques; dvd library with free popcorn
- suites can sleep two adults and three kids (some can sleep more)
- guaranteed connecting rooms
- playground, kids-only pool
- kids menus at restaurants
- child-size bath robes
- complementary jogging strollers for "Mom's Morning" jogging/yoga program for moms and babies (healthy breakfast included)
- nanny services available for a few hours or all night in-room
Great Location: short ride from the airport (twenty minutes) is a big plus for families. Also, guests are well-positioned to explore the Mayan Riviera: Mayan ruins, snorkeling on the coral reef, eco-theme park Xcaret and Xel-ha, cenotes, snorkeling lagoons... the Mayan Riviera is a terrific area for families.
Keep in Mind:
First, have a look at Tips and Cautions about Mexico Resorts: certain issues crop up at many Mexico resorts; pools, for example, are seldom heated and can be chilly sometimes. You'll enjoy your holiday more if you know what to expect.
At Azul Sensatori Hotel, guests report:
- beach area isn't good for walking or swimming; bring water shoes, or head down the beach to either side
- good snorkeling
- beach has some seaweed, that staff constantly clean up
- at crowded times, you may have to get up early to claim a beach bed
- in one direction, further along the beach is a nudist beach
- bring dollar bills for tips
- kids program has limited hours - check for updates
- not all restaurants open every night, in slower times
Find out More:
* Always check resort sites for updates!
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.