- small all inclusive resort in quiet location in the Mayan Riviera, with special programs for under-fives
AZUL Hotels by Karisma - Background
AZUL Hotels are the family brand of Karisma Hotels (which also has an adult "El Dorado" brand.) Karisma bills its properties as "Gourmet Inclusive resorts".
Two AZUL hotels -- AZUL Beach Hotel and AZUL Sensatori -- are near the small town of Puerto Morelos in the Riviera Maya, 20 minutes from the Cancun airport; a third, the AZUL Fives is near the busy tourist town of Playa del Carmen further south. All three have great locations for exploring the Mayan Riviera: Mayan ruins, great snorkeling and scuba, eco-theme parks, and more.
These AZUL Hotels by Karisma share some features:
- "Gourmet Inclusive": multiple a la carte restaurants (no buffets)
- 24-hour room service
- beach butler service
- partnership with Fisher-Price toy company for programs for kids under five accompanied by parents (see more, below)
- a focus on weddings
- adults-only areas and restaurants (at some resorts); premium liquors
This smaller-scale boutique resort (98 rooms) aims at a "hip atmosphere" for families.
Location is in the "Bahia Petempich", 20 minutes south of the Cancun airport, 35 minutes north of tourist shopping hotspot Playa del Carmen, 10 minutes north of the small town of Puerto Morelos, and 30 minutes from two golf courses.*
- Pools: three swimming pools, one exclusively for kids
- Beach Butlers: provide reading materials, mineral water vaporizers, tanning products, gourmet snacks, or even a full picnic on the beach.
- Activities include beach parties, Spanish lessons, yoga, live entertainment
- Watersports include kayaks and Hobie cats
AZUL Beach Hotel by Karisma - Features for Families
This resort has special features for families with babies and little kids. Note: kids younger than four must be accompanied by an adult.
• For babies: the resort provides strollers, cribs, in-room play-pens, refrigerators; baby monitors, bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers, baby-sized plush robes, baby food.
• Azulitos Kids Program, for kids under five: created by Azul Hotels and Fisher-Price. For babies 6 to 18 months: playgroup sessions such as Ritmo de la Manana ("rhythm of the morning") using Fisher-Price musical-type toys; for toddlers 18-36 months, "Mundos Maravillosos" ("marvelous worlds") with "Little People" toys; for kids three to five, Planet Heroes adventures.* Note that kids under four must be accompanied by an adult-- see program details.
• Toy lending library (Jugueteca), part of the Azulitos program
Also, for kids:
- kids club for ages four to twelve has activities such as watercolor classes, face painting, karaoke, Spanish lessons.
- kids-only pool
- kids menus at restaurants
- child-size bath robes
- Kids pricing: first child (3-15 years) pays $50 USD, second child (13-15) is free (based on sharing room with parents, double occupancy)*
- complementary jogging strollers for "Mom's Morning" jogging/yoga program for moms and babies (healthy breakfast included)
- nanny services available for a few hours or all night in-room
Keep in Mind about AZUL Beach Hotel
First, have a look at Tips and Cautions about Mexico Resorts: certain issues crop up at many Mexico resorts; pools, for example, are seldom heated and can be chilly sometimes. You'll enjoy your holiday more if you know what to expect.
And just to repeat: for kids' programs, children under four must be accompanied by an adult.
At AZUL Beach Hotel, guests report:
- good swimming and snorkeling at the resort. (Check recent visitor comments; beach conditions can change.)
- rooms may feel small if you have two kids.
- at crowded times, you may have to get up early to claim a beach bed
- a dress code for some restaurants
- bring dollar bills for tips
- hotel shuttle to Playa del Carmen or Cancun - check reliability
Find out more about AZUL Beach Hotel:
- See the AZUL Hotels by Karisma site
- see many details and photos at Vacationkids
- check visitors' comments at TripAdvisor.com
- Check prices
* Always check resort sites for updates!
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.