Imagine Disney-meets-National-Geographic: Xcaret aims to package the Yucatan's Mayan history and its tropical lagoon ecology into one day-long fun experience. The result is well-executed; Xcaret is a terrific place for a family to spend a day.
- Underground River Float: 1,590-foot swim in an underground river; lifejackets and gear provided; even kids as young as five can go
- premium (i.e. extra charge) activities such as dolphin encounter, sea trekking, and snuba
- Butterfly Pavilion, Tropical Reef aquarium
- pumas and jaguars in l arge "cageless" area in Jaguar Island
- Mayan Village
- live entertainment including horseback show and Papantla Flyers (flying around a pole, 30 meters in the air)
- a spectacular night-time show
All resorts organize excursions to Xcaret, but you can also rent a car and drive yourself; or take one of the buses that fly down the highway, and then return to your resort by one of the taxis awaiting at the end of the Night Show.
- read more about Xcaret -- many photos, too.
- Xplor: two zipline circuits, underground river rafting, hammock ziplining, cave swimming and amphibious vehicles.
- Rio Secreto: underground river with stalactites and stalagmites. Minimum age for this tour is four years old.
- Hidden Worlds: ride through the jungle to activities that include skycycling, rappelling into a cenote, cave snorkeling, and a "zipline rollercoaster".
continue to Puerto Aventuras, km 86