Sunset Beach Resort Spa & Waterpark -- Background:
The Sunset Beach Resort & Spa is a value-priced all inclusive resort in Jamaica, on a white-sand beach just 15 minutes from the Montego Bay Airport. Location is also just a short cab ride to downtown Montego Bay, a popular tourist area with shops, restaurants, etc.
Sunset has two sister properties in Jamaica, including the family-friendly Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort & Spa.
Features of Sunset Beach:
The magnet for families is the Pirate's Paradise Water Park with over an acre of waves and chutes, including:
- Blackbeard's Lazy River
- Caribbean Pirate's Paradise Fort with slides, squirters, waterfalls, a 40-foot high Pirate's Plank Bridge and two rooftop Jacuzzis
- two shooting waterslides, 240 ft. long and 40 ft. high
- Pirate Ship for ages 2 to 12, with kid's own swimming pool and slide
Adjacent to the water park is Club Mongoose, for ages two to 12, with disco, stage for special events, kids' pool. A 24-hour nurse's station is nearby.
"Club Mongoose" has programs in several age groups. Two to four-year-olds might do puppet making or build sandcastles; five to eight-year-olds might do art, or a hermit crab hunt; ages nine to twelve do Reggae dance classes or adventures that teach about Jamaica.
Also near the water park is the Teen Center which has arcade games, pool tables, and reggae music.
Other Features at Sunset Beach Resort:
- three private beaches
- watersports center with snorkeling, sunfish, sailing, kayaking, and paddle boats
- full spa services (at an extra cost)
- tennis pavilion with viewing stands, shuffleboard, giant chess and checkers, mini-golf
keep in Mind about Sunset Beach Resort:
Guests' tips: bring water shoes (parts of the beach are rocky), and inflatables to laze on in the pool. Also bring your own snorkel gear and you can swim to good snorkeling from the shore (-no need to pay for a snorkel trip.) The resort does lend gear, but for a limited duration. Guests who want quiet before midnight should request a room that's not near the entertainment.
Note: be sure to read visitors' comments carefully for this resort, at a site such as TripAdvisor.com. Are there issues about quality of service? Conditions change, so get the latest scoop from recent visitors.