The Hawaiian island of Kauai is called the "Garden Isle", and the Grand Hyatt Kauai has one of its most lush and lavish resort settings.
With 50 acres near Poipu, in the southeast of the island, this resort has over 600 rooms and suites spread out in low-rise units. Claim to fame comes from the lovely area of pools, ponds, lagoons.
The actual beach, meanwhile, is beautiful, but the surf is powerful; don't count on being able to swim. On Kauai, it's not unusual for a resort or hotel to not have a swim-able beach; families can swim in the pools and lagoon, and tots can play in the sand at one end of the lagoon. (Or take a walk to a swimmable beach - below.)
Also part of the scene: ANARA Spa; over a dozen restaurants and lounges; large atrium; and an adjacent golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
Features for Families
- The complex of pools and lagoons is the #1 draw, with multiple pools, including lazy-river, adults-only, an island with jacuzzi; and the saltwater lagoon is huge
- kids will love the 150-foot waterslide. (-Minimum height 42", though)
- 2-person kayaks are for rent, for the lagoon
- Camp Hyatt kids' club has half-day and full-day sessions, for "keiki" age 3½ to 12
- luau: there's one right on-property
- whale-watching: in winter months, you may be able to see whales off-shore
- kids eighteen and younger stay free with adults
Nearby Poipu Beach Park has a mile of coast and a lifeguarded beach for swimming, and also offers (depending on conditions) boogie boarding, surfing, snorkeling.
Further afield, Kauai has wonderful outings: boat cruises to the stunning Napali coast; helicopter tours; zipline and canoeing adventures; surf lessons... See Top Things to do in Kauai, for Families.
things to keep in mind:
-Teens may be at loose ends; plan activities and outings, if you're traveling with teens.
-Expect to do some walking to get to your guestroom; or request a room that's closer to the lobby, restaurants, shops, pools
-A daily resort fee is charged and includes access to the gym and classes (yoga, dance aerobics...)
Find Out More:
- the Website has info and photos, area guide, promotions, etc.
- check recent visitor comments at a site like TripAdvisor
- Check prices at Kayak.com