Time your visit well, for this beautiful but brief autumn leaf display! See
- Call the National Forest Service Fall Color Hotline at (800) 354-4595 to find the best times to visit.
- Try a drive through Yellowstone National Park. Or visit Jenny Lake, in the Grand Tetons.
- Check with park officials for suggested hikes and updates on autumn colors.
- In Colorado, take a trip up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, in Colorado. Or hike further south at Maroon Bells outside Aspen.
- Also in Colorado: Estes Park is a good base for visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. If you book early, you might stay at the family-friendly YMCA of the Rockies, which includes Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch; both offer low-price lodging and many activities for families and for kids.