Viva Wyndham resorts are a budget-friendly brand that offers some extra price breaks thanks to family pricing (see below).
Viva Resorts had eight all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico, and since 2003 has had a 10-year strategic alliance with the Wyndham hotel giant: hence the "Viva Wyndham" brand.
Viva Wyndham Tangerine is on the north coast of the DR, on the Atlantic side of the island; don't expect the turquoise seas of the Caribbean coasts. (Viva Wyndham has properties there, too.)
This resort has a great location for two reasons: a long stretch of beach, that extends to the Cabarate bay to the east; and easy walking distance to the town of Cabarete.
The beach at Cabarete is is one of the world's best spots for kite-boarding: an exciting sport, even for spectators. The bay also has an eclectic bunch of restaurants, some with tables right in the sand: wonderful places to eat outside, at night; and the bars are lively, for parents who want to get a babysitter at the Wyndham and step out.
Viva Wyndham Tangerine: Features
Family-friendly pricing: at Viva Wyndham resorts, kids under age 3 are free and ages 3 to 17 can "stay, play and eat for a nominal $30 per night fee at all Viva Wyndham properties."*
- accommodation includes some junior suites and suites
- Kids Club is for ages four to twelve, with drawing and painting, pool games, water sports...
- babysitting is available for a fee
- large free form pool has a shallow play area and a separate baby zone
- daily activities include aerobics and merengue dance lessons
- watersports include kayaking and windsurfing (with free group lessons) ; no snorkeling, though
- tennis (free group lessons)
- the resort has buffet restaurant, plus two a la carte restaurants
- evening entertainment by resort staff
- spa, diving and golf entail an extra charge
Keep in mind:
- beach vendors are a constant presence, but they're friendly, and will desist
- as at many all inclusive resorts, guests are limited to a certain number of dinners at the a la carte restaurants, and reservations are needed
- Check recent visitor comments about upkeep and general conditions
- remember that this is a budget-friendly all inclusive resort resort
- be sure to have your Towel Card, when you check out!
Find Out More:
- see the Viva Wyndham Resorts site
- check for deals at Viva Wyndham Tangerine
- check recent visitors' comments at a site like TripAdvisor.com
- Check prices for Viva Wyndham Tangerine, at Kayak.com
*Always check resort websites for updates!
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.