Walt Disney World
1 of 6
Reasons to Stay Near the Magic Kingdom
Cinderella's Castle, in Magic Kingdom; photo courtesy of Walt Disney World Resort.
is giant: four huge theme parks, two water parks, more attractions, 22 themed resorts; travel time from some resorts to Magic Kingdom could take 20 minutes plus waiting-for-the-bus time*.
For many families the Magic Kingdom theme park is a highlight, with classic Disney attractions, terrific parades, and nightly fireworks. The Magic Kingdom has wonderful attractions for small kids, and tends to be their favorite park.
Three resorts are located near the Magic Kingdom: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, Disney's Contemporary Resort, and Disney's Polynesian Resort. All three are Deluxe Resorts.
Reasons to Stay at a Disney Resort Near the Magic Kingdom
- Transportation by Monorail: guests at these resorts can reach the Magic Kingdom quickly quickly by boat or monorail. The Grand Floridian, Disney's Contemporary Resort, and Polynesian Resort are all on the monorail route (which continues from Magic Kingdom to the Epcot theme park.)
- Transportation by Boat: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney's Polynesian Resort, Disney's Wilderness Lodge, and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground all offer a free boat shuttle to the Magic Kingdom.
- Lagoon Location: the Grand Floridian, Disney's Comtemporary Resort, and Disney's Polynesian resorts have great settings on the Seven Seas Lagoon, across from Magic Kingdom. The Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts even have beaches.
- Magic Kingdom is the top park for little kids: with excited wee kids, it's great to be able to easily arrive at the theme park by boat or monorail.
- It's easy to take an afternoon break. Families at these nearby properties can easily take a break in the afternoon. Kids can nap or cool down in a swimming pool, and then the family can return to the theme park(s) for evening fun and fireworks.
- Fireworks: the nightly fireworks at the Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom are hugely popular, and the park closes right afterward. Crowds rush to the Disney buses and TTC transportation center, but guests staying at the nearby Disney Resorts simply board a bus or monorail. (Or they may even watch the Fireworks from their resort.)
- Electrical Water Pageant: this nightly parade of colored lights with music makes a circuit around Seven Seas Lagoon and adjacent Bay Lake.
- Flagship Resorts; some classic Deluxe properties are near Magic Kingdom-- as are the most novel and budget-friendly lodgings "in the World".
Which Disney Resorts are near the Magic Kingdom?
*All Disney Resorts (Value, Moderate, Luxury, Campground, whatever) have the same perks
including use of the Disney bus system.