"Family Adventures" are a very nice niche in the travel world: small-group escorted tours explore the Great Outdoors, or perhaps castles in France; the itinerary is best-of-the-best, and all details are handled.
Basically this niche has belonged to adventure companies who offer special family trips. But in 2005 Disney entered the field-- and if it's Disney, you can bet the details are done just right.
"Adventures by Disney" has over a dozen itineraries, running mid-May to late September. Europe has emerged as a front-runner in destinations, with several itineraries (see more, below). other options include Costa Rica, Wyoming including Yellowstone, the Southwest, and "Spirit of America" in Phillie, DC, and Willamsburg VA.
Features of Adventures by Disney include:
- family activities and programs, of course
- local experts to add "color and context"
- Disney quality, and Disney-style surprises
- two "Adventure Guides" lead each group of betwen 30 to 40 travelers
As one might expect, "family adventures" don't come cheap. "Adventures By Disney" prices start at about $2000 per person-- much in line with other "family adventures", and reasonable compared to some-- with a child discount of approx. $150. Price includes accommodation, local transportation, baggage handling, group activities, most meals, and most gratuities.
Disney's trips range from seven days to nine. Airfare to the trip location is not included!
Itineraries change every year; always check for the latest.
“England and France: visits London and Paris, and includes London double-decker bus tour, "Mary Poppins" at the theatre; Eiffel tower, Seine river cruise, climing the Notre Dame dower; Versailles bicycle tour and more.
Also in Europe: "The Emerald Isle" showcases Dublin, Killarney, and Shannon, in Ireland; "Imperial Cities" takes families to Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague; two itineraries explore Spain; and "Viva Italia" travels to Rome, Florence, and Venice.
Other itineraries include:
- “Path to Pura Vida”: Costa Rica,San Jose, Quepos, Arenal National Park; zip line adventure, hanging bridge, whitewater rafting, jungle cruise, butterflies, volcano.
- “Spirit of America”: experience "the birth of a nation", in Philly, DC, and Williamsburg; historic tours, costumed characters, Colonial Williamsburg where history comes to life; National Zoo, Smithsonian Museums, family resort with its own indoor waterpark.
- “Southwest Splendors": Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches National Park, red rock country in Sedona; off-road four-wheelers, rafting on the Colorado River, petroglyphgs, local guides, naturalists.
China and Australia have Adventures, too. For more info, and for the latest itineraries, see Adventures by Disney.
Read a review of Viva Italia! trip, including Rome, medieval hill-town Orvieto, a villa in Tuscany, day-trip to Florence, and Venice.
*Always check for updates and latest itineraries.