The one negative about Crested Butte is also a positive: it's a bit difficult to get there, which means that the place hasn't turned into an Aspen (yet).
Crested Butte ski area is 45 minutes from the small airport at Gunnison, Colorado. Most guests fly to Gunnison from Denver, though some flights arrive direct from the eastern US. In bad weather, Gunnison flights may be delayed, and driving from Denver may not be an option.
Once at Crested Butte, guests enjoy great snow, uncrowded slopes, and a quaint former mining town, restored with shops and restaurants. A free shuttle runs from the town to the ski area.
In the past, Crested Butte mainly marketed its X-treme terrain and many runs are indeed black-diamond level. Fortunately for us lesser mortals, there are plenty of blue and green runs too. Runs are relatively short but the snow is terrific: it tends to be dry snow, with no ice.
Crested Butte for Families
The Crested Butte Mountain Resort site has the latest info about ski runs, mountain stats, etc. Below are some features of special interest to families.
- Kids programs for skiing and boarding
- Kids'terrain park
- Kids’ Night Out for ages 4 to 12 includes entrance to the adventure Center, tubing, ice skating, bungee jumping.*
- Nursery for ages two months to three years old
- lift tickets free for kids under 6
- Kids' trail maps: easy-to-read maps that highlight kids’ favorite trails and features
- Tubing hill with lift
- Adventure Center: year-round ice-skating on synthetic rink, climbing pinnacle, bungee trampolines
- Crested Butte Nordic Center with ice-skating, hockey, sledding hill, and more than 50 km of trails
- Guided snowshoe tours, moonlight tours, sleigh ride dinners, torchlight parades
Teens might take the free shuttle into the tiny town and have fun at the outdoor ice rink or take in a movie on their own. (See more for teens.)
- Read more about Crested Butte Mountain Resort.
- See Gunnison- Crested Butte for lodgings, deals, area info
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not participated in these activities. Always check destination websites for updates!