St. Lucia-- in the Eastern Caribbean-- is a lush island with jungle and plantations, and is best known for the much-photographed twin peaks called The Pitons. St. Lucia was ruled by the French and later by the British; many tourists visit from the UK, and driving is on the left.The Almond Morgan Bay resort is 3 miles from Castries, the capital city in the northwest, and 25 miles from Hewanorra International Airport. The drive from the airport is not far in distance, but can take a long time. The property has 228 rooms in six blocks.
- "all-inclusive" includes kayaks, snorkeling gear, windsurfers, sailboats, water skiing, banana boat rides, and reef fishing
- JetSkis and scuba are extra
- golf: green fees (one round per day per guest) are complimentary at St. Lucia Golf & Country Club's 18-hole course, 1.5 miles away* but there are charges for transportation to the course, cart and equipment rental, and fees and tips for caddies.
- two pools, plus kiddie pool; kid's water slides
- easy excursions into Castries, for shopping; you can take an inexpensive local bus
- 4 restaurants serve breakfast, lunch, and a la carte dinners; 4 bars, too
- full-service nursery with indoor and outdoor recreation; newborns to 23 months
- Mini-club, 2 to 4 years; Kids Club, 5 to 7 years and 8 to 12 years
- beach and pool activities; outdoor play in Mini Park; badminton, beach cricket, volleyball
- lessons in local dance, culture and music
- computers, video games, movie time
- story time, nursery rhymes, junior chef, board games
- jewelry making, puppet craft, flower art, sand art, t-shirt tie-dying
- nursury and mini-club are open from 9 am to 5 pm (babysitters available after five, for a fee)
- kids clubs are open daily from 9 am to 10 pm
- Teen Centre for 13 years and over; movies, water sports, disco night
Keep in Mind:
- the resort welcomes couples and singles as well as families
- the drive from the airport can take an hour or more
- don't expect crystal-clear seas; for a crystal-clear beach take an outing to Reduit Beach at Rodney Bay (-you can take an inexpensive bus there).
- though Castries dates back to the 18th century, fire destroyed most of the historic buildings
-- for Almond Morgan Bay
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
*Always check resort sites for updates!