See also a selection of
Aruba Beach Resorts
Aruba is generally known as a safe and friendly island.
- former Dutch colony, like Bonaire and Curacao
- outside the hurricane zone
- size is 70 square miles
- 43 nationalities!
- look for traditional Dutch-style houses
Local Lingo : Papiamento is a lilting mixture of Portuguese, Spanish, French, Dutch, English, and more
Safety and comfort level : This island gets "A" for safety from the writers of Caribbean With Kids , who emphasize the "Bon Bini" welcoming attitude to visitors.
Keep in mind:
- the Atlantic coast is rugged with big-time waves
- don't expect a lush island (except for landscaped resorts) ; picture instead a desert terrain
- flight time direct from New York is 4 hours. From Miami: 2-1/2 hours.
Family Activities - Things to do in Aruba
- explore the underseas with Atlantis Submarine
- explore the island in a rented jeep
- visit the Butterfly Farm
- go horseback riding
- do watersports: the island has coral, so be sure to go snorkeling. Ages 12 and up can try scuba; younger kids can perhaps try " snuba".
- visit the town of Oranjestad, which has historic sections with tall multi-colored buildings. Tira Koochi Park has a playground (limited hours)
- visit Kibaima Miniature Village and Park, with mini-versions of typical Aruban houses, and a playground
- see the "natural bridge" carved out of rock on the Atlantic coast; or visit sand dunes; or old gold mines.
Check Aruba.com for island-wide promotions, usually in off-season, with features such as kids stay free, free kids' activities, free sightseeing, sailing and snorkeling outings, discount for Atlantis Submarines, free day of car rental.