- terrific location
- outstanding kids' programs
- Baby Welcome
- Passworld for teens
- Club Med signature features
Club Med Cancun Yucatan has arguably the best location in Cancun, with 22 acres and its own peninsula at the south end of the Hotel Zone. Club Med has a sweep of white-sand beach (with view of Cancun hotels all in a row), and round the point (Punta Nizuc), a private stretch of seaside with snorkeling over coral, and a further beach area with watersports. The resort also has a lagoon side.
Background about Club Med:
Club Med is a unique brand of all inclusive resorts that started in 1950 as a tent-village on a Mediterranean beach. Since then, Club Med has worldscaled and upscaled to 80 resorts in 25 countries.
Interestingly, some basics have remained. From the start, Club Med "villages" had "G.M.'s" and "G.O.'s": G.M.'s are the guests (Gentil membres, or "gracious members") ; and G.O.'s are the staff (gentils organisateurs, or "gracious organizers.") Both groups socialized together, and still do today, which makes for a friendly ambiance. Visitor reviews tend to rave about the enthusiastic and outgoing G.O.'s.
A highlight for families at Club Med resorts are the kids programs. Say good-bye to kids clubs with video screens; programs are more like camps, active and geared to teaching; trapeze is a specialty. For tweens and teens, Passworld is a cool place to hang out, with teen-friendly GO's and activities like dj mixing and hip-hop dance.
Club Med Cancun Yucatan: Features
After its $24M renovation following Hurricane Wilma, Club Med Cancun Yucatan has:
- programs for families ( - it was formerly adults-only)
- chic lounge areas by the pool with canopied day beds
- "Jade Villa" concierge building with extra amenities
- seaside La Cazuela restaurant with a la carte dining; La Hacienda, with multiple dining rooms; "snack bar" that's more like an attractive lounge
Daily activities and sports include:
- at the beach, lessons windsurfing, sailing (single hull and catamaran)
- on the lagoon side, lessons in waterskiing and wakeboarding (ages 18 and up)
- lessons in tennis, trapeze
- beach volleyball, soccer, fitness center, outdoor yoga by the beach, salsa dancing, more
- at an extra charge: scuba, waverunner, golf
Theater: performances include shows put on by the GO's; professional folklorico dancers; weekly mini-club show, where kids perform with costumes, lighting, choreography.
Club Med Cancun Yucatan for Families
- Baby Welcome program: parents traveling with infants are provided with amenities in their room, such as crib, stroller, infant bath tub, and bottle warmer. Around the resort: restaurants have high-chairs; families with babies can visit the shallow pool in the Kids Club area. Babysitters are available for a charge.
- Mini-Club Med for ages 4 to 10, in different age groups. Kids do activities around the resort, or play games or do crafts; with laudable absence of tv/video/computer screens.
- Mini-Club Show-- see above. A highlight!
- Passworld: kids age 11 to 13, and 14 to 17, have their own cool hangout and GO's, and special activities such as sound mixing classes, video-editing for music videos, jewelry-making; hip-hop dance, preparing for the theater.* Passworld theme at Club Med Cancun Yucatan is Car Wash. (See photos.)
- teens will also like the outdoor movies, projected on a large white wall: grab some headphones, and settle in on a lounge-chair by the pool.
The area around tourist mecca Cancun offers much to explore: Mayan ruins, coral reef, snorkeling lagoons, and unique eco-theme parks. (Read more about Riviera Maya highlights.)
Even a half-day excursion can get you to nearby El Meco, a Mayan archeological site with a temple that visitors can climb.*
Many other excursions, for all ages, are available at the resort's Discovery Center: tours to ancient cities at Coba and Tulum; to Cozumel island (known for snorkeling) ; to Sian Ka’an, the largest marine protected area in Mexico; Xcaret eco-theme park, and more.
- 426 rooms and 18 suites
- Jade Villa luxury concierge building has room service, ocean view suites, upgraded amenities packages (private car from airport, free internet, bathrobes, laundry service, stocked mini-fridge, and more.)
- Comfort Zone spa has lovely pre/post spa area for relaxing
Keep in mind:
- rooms can only accommodate a family with one child plus a baby or toddler who can sleep in a crib. If you have two kids, you'll need to get two connecting rooms, or book a suite
- if you need a crib, confirm that it will be available
- baby amenities don't include cleaning/sterilizing supplies
- for those with strollers: units have three-storeys but no elevators
- teens aren't permitted to do water skiing or wakeboarding
- canopied day-beds get "claimed" early in the day
- Club Med has moved away from its trademark group seating, where guests sat at round tables that seated eight, usually including a friendly G.O. or two. Dedicated Club Med-ers (and single parent travelers) will miss this unique feature.
*Always check resort sites for updates!
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.