Airbnb is a website that connects individuals who have a space to rent with travelers seeking a place to stay. Accommodation could be a spare room to rent, or B and B-type lodging, or an entire home or apartment.
Airbnb has evolved rapidly from its start in 2008 and has moved from more of a "rent spare space in my home" approach to full-on rentals of apartments or houses. Many listings still embody the "share my home" philosophy, but a wide variety of other options are available to travelers and are easily searchable.
Along the way in its rapid development, Airbnb has added many "Trust and Safety" features -- read more, below.
Airbnb is a fast-growing social media phenomenon, connecting supply and demand via a friendly interface and with a sense of fun. At time of writing, guests can search for treehouses, castles, boats, caves, yurts, tipis, earth houses, and more.
Airbnb for Traveling Families
Advantages for families include:
- Affordable price
- Lodging that can sleep five or more
- Kid-friendly homes with yard, nursery, etc.
- Extra amenities such as a pool
- Personal connection, if you choose to stay with a host, who can give you tips about enjoying the neighborhood and the destination, and perhaps show you some of the local sites
The example of family-friendly accommodations shown in the photo above is in San Diego, and offers a large kitchen, pool, and extra bedrooms for $140 a night.
Keep in Mind:
- Airbnb offers numerous "Trust & Safety" features including a 24/7 hotline
- A round-the-clock "Airbnb Concierge" service is complimentary with every booking, and for example could help plan family activities at a destination
- Visitor comments give a good feel about what a stay in a place is like
This brief profile is meant to introduce this service to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not sampled these accommodations in person.
*Always check websites for updates!