Free in Cody:
- On summer evenings outside the Irma Hotel, the Cody Gunfighters put on Western-style skits that end in a (melo)dramatic gunfight, with some tips about gun safety thrown in. The show is free, but families may like to have a meal at the Irma Hotel which was built by Buffalo Bill Cody and named for his daughter, Irma.
- See the room-sized diorama in Tecumseh's Old West Miniature Village and Museum, with miniature trains, a buffalo jump, soldiers, cabins and more. American Indian artifacts are on display in the Museum as well.
- Stroll around, view work by local artists and furniture designers (-Cody's known for this.) Then head out to some of the hundreds of hiking trails that surround the town.
- Visit the Buffalo Bill Dam Visitor Center -- the tallest dam in the world when built in 1910 -- for some good views and interesting history.
- Not free, but worth it: sample the goods created by the "Cowboy Chocolatier" in Meeteetse (not far from Cody.)
- Visit the Pahaska Tepee historic lodge where Buffalo Bill entertained friends such as Teddy Roosevelt. Location is just outside the East Gate of Yellowstone National Park.
- The Cody Trolley Tour is one hour long and uses live narrators plus multi-media to introduce local attractions, geology, and more.
- For a fun family night out, try Dan Miller's Cowboy Music Revue.
- The Old Trail Town showcases 26 real-life buildings from the Old West days, including one used by Butch Cassidy and his famous gang.
- On a different note, the Heart Mountain Interpretive Center presents the history of the Heart Mountain Internment Camp where thousands of Japanese-American citizens from California were interned during WWII.
Cody is also a great launch point for whitewater raft trips -- or more gentle floats -- on the Shoshone River. Check out Wyoming River Trips.
As for where to stay, Cody has some great options with historic style -- see Cody Hotels and Lodging at About.com's Northwest US Travel website. Also check out a couple of Best Western hotels for some budget-friendly choices.