(LifeWire) - (NOTE: This resort closed for renovations in 2008 or 2009 and it appears that it has not reopened. Check Viva Wyndham online for updates.)
The Viva Wyndham brand has a handful of well-priced all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, and Mexico.
The Viva Wyndham Samaná is a choice off the beaten path: It's a three-hour drive from Puerto Plata International Airport, a two-hour drive from Santo Domingo's airport and 10 minutes from the charming village of Las Terranas. It's located on one of the gorgeous, unspoiled beaches of Samaná Bay, along the northeastern coast. The gentle waters are excellent for swimming with small children and for beginning snorkelers and divers.
- Miles of secluded white sand beach, turquoise waters
- Offshore snorkeling areas nearby
- Beautiful grounds and gardens
- Large pool with many activities
- Several restaurants
- Diving center and fitness center with tennis courts
- free kayaking and other non-motorized watersports
- Boogie-boarding (depending on conditions)
- Access to Grand Bahia golf course, 30 miles from the resort
- Viva Wyndham Kids' Retreat for ages 4 to 12 and Juniors' Club for ages 12 to 16
- Children's pool and pool games
- Sand castle-building competitions and talent shows
- Children ages 12 and under stay and eat for a nominal fee
- Whale-watching excursions are available at the tour desk for an extra fee
Keep in Mind:
- Kids' Retreat and Juniors' Club close during lunch.
- Reservations are usually required for dinner; be sure to check in with your restaurant of choice well in advance.
- Contact the hotel to arrange your transfer from the airport by shuttle bus in advance of your arrival.
- Rooms for those with limited mobility are available, and most of the rooms are non-smoking.
- some guests comment that rooms need renovation.*
- food is available 24 hours a day.
- nearest (small) town is 15 minutes by car.
Find Out More:
- Visit the Viva Wyndham Samaná and Viva Resorts web sites.
- Read visitors' comments at a site like TripAdvisor.com.
- More about the Dominican Republic for Families
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
*Always check resort sites for updates!.