(LifeWire) - This Oahu hotel is situated directly on Waikiki Beach, just steps away from upscale shopping, restaurants and attractions. Diamond Head can be seen from the hotel. Although the Sheraton Waikiki is a large high-rise and convention hotel, many families like its central location, programs and activities, and economical price; and although Waikiki Beach is a busy urban sort of place, it offers good beaches, surf lessons for kids as young as seven, a beautified walkway, and attractions such as the Waikiki Aquarium.
Features of the Sheraton Waikiki:
- Fresh-water pool
- Private beach at the adjacent Royal Hawaiian Hotel
- Poolside Hawaiian musical performances every evening — other complimentary activities include fire shows, family movies, Polynesian dancing, ukelele lessons and lei-making.
- Twenty gift shops in the lobby
- Laundry facilities
- The Keiki Aloha Kids program is available for an additional fee. Activities include boogie boarding, kite flying and Hawaiian cultural activities.
- Sheraton "Love Your Family" program includes signature experiences, such as storytelling and star-gazing; special packages, food discounts for kids; and a "Director of Fun" at each resort.* complimentary cribs or roll-away beds if needed.
- A family movie is shown poolside every week.
Keep in Mind about the Sheraton Waikiki:
- Guests are able to charge meals at other Starwood properties to their room.
- A small, private beach beyond the pool area is ideal for kids, but is only accessible at low tide.
- The surf is stronger in the summer than in the winter, when waves are generally no bigger than two feet
- The popular Dolphin Connection program is available for an additional fee.
- The attached Sheraton Manor offers smaller, less expensive rooms, but without ocean views and lanais.
The Sheraton Waikiki and other Starwood properties, including the adjacent Royal Hawaiian Hotel, are undergoing extensive indoor and outdoor renovations through 2009. Contact the Sheraton Waikiki for updated information.
Find Out More:
- Visit the Sheraton Waikiki web site.
- More about Waikiki Beach, and Top Things to Do in Oahu for Families.
- Check rates.
- Read visitors' comments a site such as TripAdvisor.com.
- Check the surf report for Waikiki.
*Always check resort sites for updates!