(LifeWire) - This oceanfront property on Maui's west side is only 40 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the bustling resort town of Kaanapali — but the atmosphere is private and low-key. In contrast to Maui's many high-rise mega-resorts, the Napili Kai is made up of one- and two-story buildings with condominium accommodations. Many guests on TripAdvisor.com say it offers the most "authentic" Hawaiian vacation experience on Maui. VacationKids.com cpraises the resort's intimate setting and lagoon beach, which offers safe swimming for little travelers.
- A gold sand beach and a reef-protected lagoon that guarantees relatively gentle surf
- Complimentary coffee and fresh pineapple offered on beach in the morning
- Nightly sunset ritual, including the lighting of tiki torches, is mentioned as a highlight by visitors
- Four pools
- Two on-site putting greens on-site and three nearby golf courses
- Kitchenettes in most units, as well as a common barbecuing area
- Laundry room with complimentary detergent
- Complimentary activities, including lei making, hula dancing, Hawaiian cultural demonstrations, snorkeling and shuffleboard
- Weekly luau
- Massages and spa services available
- Baby items — including cribs, diaper pails and high chair — are available for use.
- The Keiki Club, a complimentary children's program for ages 6 to 10, is available from June through August and at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations. The program includes Hawaiian cultural activities, arts and crafts, ukulele lessons, a lizard safari, bamboo rod fishing and swimming.
- Walk around the ten-acre resort on paths that accommodate strollers.
- Babysitting is available for an extra fee.
Keep in Mind:
- Only rooms in the Honolua building have air-conditioning. The other rooms are cooled by ceiling fans and ocean breezes.
- From January to March, visitors can spot whales — and often also dolphins and sea turtles — from shore.
- Rooms are often reserved far in advance. Plan early for the best selection of rooms.
- The resort is secluded; a rental car is necessary to travel anywhere off-property.
Find Out More:
- Visit the resort's website.
- Check rates.
- Read wreview at VacationKids.com.
- Read visitors' comments on TripAdvisor.com.
- Learn more about Maui.