(LifeWire) - The Sol Meliá chain of hotels and resorts is one of the largest in the world and a dominant player in Latin America and the Caribbean. The Meliá Caribe Tropical, in the Dominican Republic, is a family-friendly all inclusive resort that is moderately priced and offers high-end amenities and services.
The Meliá Caribe Tropical is a 20-minute drive from Punta Cana International Airport on the eastern tip of the DR. Its location is on Bávaro Beach, which has soft white sand and which stretches for miles in both directions from the resort. Guests can enjoy one of the best beaches in the world and splash with their kids in calm, reef-protected waters.
Melia Caribe Tropical: Features
- Spacious suites with terraces or balconies
- Family suites that can accommodate families of five, including sofa, bunk beds and additional children's amenities
- Royal Service upgrade, with perks such as a pillow menu, private transportation within the resort, access to private beach and pool areas with concierge service, private butler, and access to a lounge with food and drinks
- Numerous dining options with a variety of cuisines
- Multiple swimming pools
- Lit tennis courts, two spas, championship golf course, casino
- Beautiful grounds with gardens and peacocks, flamingos, and other birds
Features that families will enjoy include:
- Flintstones-themed areas such as Betty's Kitchen and Fred's Bronto Burger*
- Three Flintstone-themed children's clubs. Baby Rock Club is for ages 4 months to 4 years, and has its own separate clubhouse. The Bamm-Bamm Club is for ages 5 to 8 years. The Roca Flash Club for older kids has pool games, camping, rock climbing wall, ziplines and more.
- Activities on-property include a trampoline, zipline, tree walking, and an inflatable water slide (small extra charge).
- Up to 2 children ages 4 and under stay free with a parent/guardian; ages 5 to 12 stay at a reduced rate.*
Keep in Mind:
- Services such as babysitting and snorkeling excursions cost extra.
- Kids' clubs are open all day and serve mini-buffets for lunch and dinner*.
- Restaurants have a dress code and require reservations for dinner.
- Free trolleys allow visitors to explore the property.
- A shopping mall is located five minutes walk away
Find Out More:
- Read a detailed review of this resort for families at VacationKids.com.
- Read past visitors' comments at a site such as TripAdvisor.com.
- Check prices.
- Read more about the Dominican Republic for families.
- See more All Inclusive Resorts in the DR
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
*Always check resort sites for updates!