(LifeWire) - The Barceló chain includes hotels and resorts in Spain, the UK, Central America and the Caribbean. They’re a well-known name in the Dominican Republic, with multiple all-inclusive properties in the Punta Cana/Bávaro Beach area, in addition to a handful of other locations on the island.
The Barceló Punta Cana is on the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic, about 25 minutes from Punta Cana International Airport. The white-sand beach is one of the resort’s main attractions, and divers appreciate the proximity to the reef and sunken ships nearby. This property is on the Arena Gorda Beach (Bavaro Beach area.)
Barceló Punta Cana Features:
- 795 rooms* in Spanish-style buildings
- Multiple restaurants, variety of cuisines
- Large lagoon-style swimming pool with swim-up bar; kids pool with slides
- tennis courts and climbing wall
- Metamorphosis Spa
- Access to three nearby golf courses, including the José Pepe Gancedo–designed course at Cocotal
- Kids pool has water park features: slides and water play
- "Mini club" for ages 4 to 12
- Playground and game room with darts, billiards and other table games
- Two nightclub discos (one for ages 4 to 12, the other for teens)
- Soccer field on the beach
- Circus trapeze, climbing wall, "ice skating"
- Cribs provided upon request (no additional fee)
- Babysitting is available for an extra fee.
Visitors report that the grounds are lovely, and that kids enjoy the water park slides.
Keep in Mind about Barceló Punta Cana:
- Beach can get waves but guests seem to enjoy it - good for boogie-boarding
- The all-inclusive price includes free introductory diving lessons in the pool and an array of activities and nighttime entertainment. Some services (such as diving) cost extra.
- Pre-arranged invitations are issued for the restaurants, and a dress code applies. Some restaurants are non-smoking.
- Stick to filtered or bottled water while you’re here, and don’t eat food from street vendors
- visitors recommend the Club level suites
- See the Barceló Punta Cana website.
- Check the resort’s rating at the popular family vacation packager Apple Vacations. (At time of writing: four Red Apples, or “First Class.” Six Red Apples is “Luxurious,” while one Golden Apple is “Exceptional.”)
- Read visitors' comments at TripAdvisor.com.
- Check Prices.
- Visit the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism site.
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
*Always check resort sites for updates!