Mohonk Mountain House has a spectacular forest and lakeside setting, with 1200 acres, and 85 miles of hiking trails in surrounding forest and mountains. Location is 90 miles north of NYC near New Paltz, New York, on the Shawangunk Ridge in the Hudson Valley.
What's Special about Mohonk Mountain House?
Mohonk Mountain House is a survivor from an era of upscale mountain lodges, dates from 1869, and is still run by the founding family. A 265-room "Victorian castle" sits imposingly on low cliffs by a lake, and is a National Historic Landmark. The gardens are a point of pride, and guests love the forest trails nearby.
Mohonk Mountain House suits those who want to get outdoors. Complimentary activities include daily guided hikes, tennis, fishing, boating, swimming in Lake Mohonk, croquet, fitness classes, and Kids' Club with lots of outdoor fun (summer and some weekends throughout the year). Pay extra, and you can also do horseback riding, carriage rides, golf, spa.
The resort is open year-round: in winter, guests can try x-country skiing on 35 miles of trails, snowshoeing, supervised snow-tubing, and ice-skating including skating parties in the Victoria Pavilion.
Mohonk Mountain House also has theme programs, such as Haunted Haunts and Happenings at Halloween, and special weekends during December for the Holiday Season.
The Kids Club is offered seasonally, and has several age groups; a teen program runs in summer, too.*
Keep in Mind:
- Price includes two or three meals daily, plus Afternoon Tea and Cookies (a Mohonk tradition.)
- An extra service fee may be charged.
- Watch for specials where kids pay half-price, or may even be free.
- Expect an old-fashioned style and ambiance.
- No tv's or radios in rooms; tv lounge and internet available.*
- Casual attire is ok for some meals, at other times, not.
- check the Mohonk Mountain House site for info, history, theme programs, promotions, etc.
- Family Travel Forum has details about kids' programs, comments about rooms, and useful tidbits-- such as, "Men over the age of 12 are required to wear jackets at dinner. "
- check TripAdvisor for recent visitor comments.
- Check prices at Kayak.com
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacations. Please note that the writer has not visited in person.
*Always check destination web sites for updates!