The Grand Wailea is a luxury property-- and a Waldorf Astoria Resort-- located on forty acres on the southwest side of Maui, one of Hawaii's most popular islands. Tucked below Mount Haleakala, this area reportedly has the sunniest and driest climate on Maui.
What's special about it?
- the pool complex at the gets rave reviews; see details below
- the 20,000 sq. ft. Camp Grande for ages 5 to 12 includes a pottery room, foosball, Lego and board games, movie theater, game room, video arcade, nine-hole putting green, and wading pool.
- kids' programs include sand sculpting, tide-pooling and nature walks, arts and crafts, Hawaiian music, scavenger hunts. Full day sessions from $75; half-day, $45. (Check web site for updates). Night camps are also available.
- teen programs are offered seasonally: dances, spa nights, X-Box challenges, etc.
Swimming pools include the Canyon Activity Pools, a 2,000 foot-long series of nine pools connected by a river
This complex includes water slides, waterfalls, caves, white water rapids, a swim-up bar, rope swing, water elevator in the center of a volcano (sit on an inner tube, and "ride" up), and an infant pool. Other pools elsewhere at the resort include the adult Hibiscus pool.
- 50,000 sq. foot spa, 3 golf courses, tennis. Gardens are a point of pride and so is art, with works by Picasso, Warhol, and Leger.
Sports equipment for rent includes snorkels, scuba, boogie boards, surfboards, kayaks, Hobie cats, windsurfers. Kayaking excursions, windsurfing lessons, scuba instruction, are available.
Things to Keep in Mind about while visiting:
- pool areas can get crowded: stake out lounge chairs early. And you may have to pay for shade, renting a beach umbrella ($25) or cabana*
- check the membership program: a refundable deposit can save money on your room
- some visitors praise the pool complex but find the service not as great as other brands in this price range *
- if you have three kids, you'll need two rooms
Find out more:
- continue to photo pages
- be sure to read recent visitors' comments at TripAdvisor
- visit the website
- Check prices at Kayak.com
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person. Always check resort sites for updates.