Where is LEGOLAND California?
Legoland California is located in Carlsbad, one hour south of Anaheim/Disneyland, or half an hour north of San Diego.
LEGOLAND California was the first LEGO theme park in the US; a second one, LEGOLAND Florida, opened in 2011. The original Legoland is in Denmark, the birthplace of the famous toy building blocks. (The word "Lego" was invented in 1932, and blends two Danish words meaning "play well"; in Latin, it translates as "I assemble".) Other Lands of LEGO are located in Windsor England, not far from London (-- see pix), and in Germany.
What's Special About LEGOLAND California for Families?
• LEGO! For starters, much of this 128-acre theme park is constructed with Lego blocks. Kids love that!
• Young at Heart: The theme park is designed for ages two to twelve, with all kinds of fun for that age group. Roller coasters, water play, driving school, boat rides, club house for playing with LEGO bricks...
• Miniland USA: over 20M LEGO bricks have been put to work, to recreate landmarks from seven different areas in the US, from New York City to the California Coast, all in 1:20 scale. Miniland USA can be seen from many areas of the park; take a boat cruise to go sightseeing past Miniland.
• Star Wars Miniland: see seven of the most famous movie scenes and more, all made out of 1.5M LEGO bricks. (Star Wars fans: look for special Star Wars days in June.)
• Live Shows: in addition to having fun on attractions, kids and parents get some sitting-down time while watching entertaining performances. The show we saw (at LEGOLAND Windsor) had plenty of action including stunts from a high tower into a swimming pool.
• LEGOLAND Water Park: new in summer 2010, with 5.5 acres of fun. Attractions include Build-A-Raft River (kids float down a lazy river, after customizing their raft made of soft LEGO bricks) Kid Creek lazy river for younger kids, body slides, a family tube slide, interactive play zone, and more. Price is extra, ($10 at time of writing*), but Park Hopper tix include both parks.
•Splash Zoo: new in 2011, a waterplay area for kids ages 1 to 3.
• Seasonal Celebrations: Halloween is a great time to visit this park: in October, the theme park has Brick-or-Treat festivities on several weekends. Holiday Season brings festive decorations and special activities and events, as well.
• SEA LIFE Aquarium: Adjacent to LEGOLAND is the SEA LIFE Aquarium, with Lost City of Atlantis theme, and with LEGO models in it such as a 7-foot long LEGO submarine. Separate admission, but a "Hopper Ticket" gives admission to the Aquarium and the LEGOLAND. A visit to SEA LIFE might take from 45 minutes up to three hours; part of the tour is inside an acrylic tunnel. This SEA LIFE Center is one of dozens, in twelve countries around the world.
LEGOLAND California Adds New Attractions
Recent years added a Land of Adventure, with first-ever "dark ride" Lost Kingdom Adventure, Cargo Ace airplane ride, and more; a Pirate Shores expansion with four water-play attractions, such as Splash Battle (riders sail ships with water cannons through pirate-infested waters) and a flume ride; and in 2010, a water park. See the latest about LEGOLAND California at About.com's Theme Park site. Check the LEGOLAND California site for details.
Beyond LEGOLAND California-- Other Fun Stuff to Visit in Carlsbad:
While you're in the neighborhood, there's more to enjoy: North Carlsbad Beach, and South Carlsbad State Beach which has campsites on a cliff; Carlsbad Children's Museum; side trip to 600,000 acre Anza-Borrego Desert State Park; many attractions in nearby San Diego.
*Always check destination web sites for updates!
This brief profile is meant to introduce this destination; please note that the writer has not visited in person.
Always check resort web sites for upda